This is a Handspan-exclusive trip to discover and tread lightly in a very pristine area. We’re talking about an untouched secret garden inhabited by the Muong people. The deep roots of their ethnic culture and their isolated location have contributed to the preservation of what is a cultural and natural treasure. While it is essential to preserve the treasures here, it is also important to help the community to improve their (very poor) living conditions. Finding this balance is the challenge that we chose to face in partnership with an NGO in charge of nature conservation and livelihood improvement in the reserve. Get ready for a very special tour.
Meals: lunch, dinner | Accommodation: Homestay at a traditional house-on-stilts
7:00 AM – pick up from your hotel and head southwest to Ngoc Son Ngo Luong Nature Reserve. We should get there around noon time. The car stops at the headquarters where we may meet some forest rangers and have a brief explanation about the nature conservation and livelihood improvement efforts taking place (if rangers are busy, then the local guide will have plenty of time along the hike to explain you all this). We then take a walk to a local restaurant where we have lunch.
The real rapture starts after lunch; from the restaurant we head down into the valley to reach its first plateau. We take our time to stroll around the village and have a break near the cascade of the Mu waterfalls. A bit gentler walking across the terraced rice fields brings us to the bottom of the valley to settle down in a cozy homestay there. After a warm welcome there’s time for relaxing in the stream by the house while dinner is prepared and the sun slowly sets.
The Mu village – where you’ll spend the night is located in the heart of the Nature Reserve and only accessible by foot or motorbike ride so it’s advisably to travel light with a daypack.
With ‘Homestay’ experience, your overnight accommodation is provided by a local family in their traditional house-on-silts. There’s no private room and you’ll sleep on the floor in a large communal area. The sleeping corner is set up with a single mattress (thin, but adequate), blankets (ditto), pillow and mosquito net. The restroom is at international standard and a few steps from the main house.
Meal: breakfast, lunch | Accommodation: not included
We start early today to walk back to Mu village by another trail and then head to Khay and Mon villages in one of the most beautiful parts of the Reserve. As we walk, we’ll journey from quiet and wild natural areas into unusually dynamic villages alive with vivid sounds and scenes of life. This is your chance to really breathe in an atmosphere quite different from the one we usually know at home. We promise your guide will provide opportunities for numerous encounters with locals as you learn that these people are poor only in technology, but have an immense wealth of human knowledge about how to live together happily.
We will share lunch with a family in Mon village before some motorbike taxis bring us back to the entrance of the reserve. Time for refreshments in a local restaurant before the drive back to Hanoi.
|Validity|| Price per person
based on group of 2
|1 Jan - 31 Dec 2019||US$ 177
[vnd 4117 000]
* Fixed prices in USD. Prices in VND are subject to currency fluctuations upon making the trip reservation.
* Prices valid till 31 December 2019 for the ready-to-book adventure outlined on this detailed program which has been handcrafted by our production team and that includes the best of the destination (highlights and some lesser known assets as well!). Our travel consultants will also be glad to customize this journey to suit your specific interests and travel-style.
* Would you like to adapt the itinerary, accommodation, length of the trip or any activity as per your needs and preferences? Then just forward us your comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Special prices for groups of more than 2 people, children and the possibility to connect the tour with other stages of your trip around Indochina by contacting us.
* A private trip for a solo traveller is also available with a surcharge.