The Hanoi vicinity has many handicraft villages that you can visit. These villages specialize in a wide variety of crafts ranging from the making of conical 'non' hats to the production of fine lacquer wares. Deep tradition continues to the present day in Vietnam’s famous handicraft villages, and you’ll be amazed by the skill of these artisans. During your Hanoi time, we encourage you to spare at least a day to experience these villages; they are ideal places to visit if you are in love with local arts and crafts, or are searching for an ideal gift or memento of your journey to Vietnam.
Meals: lunch | Accommodation: not included
8:30 AM – Pick up from your hotel. You’ll spend the day to experience handicraft villages around Hanoi. We’ll start with Bat Trang Pottery village - Vietnam’s premier ceramics centre is 15 km northeast of the city centre. While the upper side is quite commercialized and focuses on glazed ceramic items, the riverside ‘ancient’ village leans more towards earthenware and pottery products. There is also a large ceramics market with many small business people selling a wide variety of items large and small.
Next stop is Dong Ho village where the traditional woodblock paintings are preserved. Carved wood is pressed onto prints that illustrate wishes for good luck and typical scenes from rural life. Each painting is completely handmade on paper of the Dzo tree and is coloured with other natural materials and its glittery surface is finished with oyster shell dust.
Back to city centre for lunch at local restaurant. In the afternoon, you’ll visit a lacquer ware workshop to learn about our centuries-old technique of applying and polishing layer upon layer of varnish from the Vietnamese lacquer tree (Rhus succedanea). Combined with eggshell and mother-of-pearl inlays, the lacquer works of art found here come in thousands of designs and varieties.
Our last village of the day is Du Du Sculpture village; this is a traditional sculpture village offering various kinds of lively and artistic sculptures that display traditional cultural and historic themes. Trip ends at your hotel in Hanoi around 16:30.
Price per person
|2 pax||USD 60
[vnd 1380 000]
* Fixed prices in USD. Prices in VND are subject to currency fluctuations upon making the trip reservation.
* Prices valid till 30 December 2019 for the ready-to-book adventure outlined on this detailed program which has been handcrafted by our production team and that includes the best of the destination (highlights and some lesser known assets as well!). Our travel consultants will also be glad to customize this journey to suit your specific interests and travel-style.
* Would you like to adapt the itinerary, accommodation, length of the trip or any activity as per your needs and preferences? Then just forward us your comments at email@example.com.
* Special prices for groups of more than 2 people, children and the possibility to connect the tour with other stages of your trip around Indochina, by contacting us.
* A private trip for a solo traveller is also available with a surcharge.